Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Respect.... back on my soapbox!

You may have heard or read in the news that a particular church group has been protesting Military funerals. This has disturbed me for some time but I've kinda put it into the back of my mind. I try to go about life with a "live and let live" kind of attitude, but today I was appalled when I read an article about this group of church goers who are now planning on protesting a CHILD'S funeral! You can read the article here from Fox news.

This really makes me sad. No, not sad, it makes me sick to my stomach! To think that it is appropriate to interrupt the laying to rest of anyone is a travesty but to believe it is ok to picket at the funeral of a 9 year old little girl is an outrage in my opinion! Regardless of how you feel about the deceased or the reasons for their death it is just wrong to put their family through more pain in order to excel your political/religious agendas. I am heart broken for this family due to their loss. I am enraged for this family because rather than mourning their loss they must be concerned with heartless individuals trampling the ground where she will be layed to rest.

Lawmakers in Arizona are trying to push a law through that will prohibit picketers from being within 300 ft of the ceremony.... Bless them! Groups of bikers are planning on being there in order to keep peace and a distance between the mourners and picketers... Bless them! There are petitions going around asking for others to come and make a human chain around those who are mourning the loss of their loved one at this funeral... Bess them!

Some may say that the law that has been proposed is the first step in taking away our freedom of speech. Well, I think it is a monumental step in promoting RESPECT to those who have passed and those who are mourning. Where I come from you show respect to the departed. When I drive down the road and see a funeral procession I make a point to pull over and turn off the radio out of respect.

I just cannot understand how picketing at a 9 year old girls funeral is appropriate in any way. They hide behind their God (who I'm pretty sure is not the same God the majority of American's acknowledge) and justify their actions as bringing awareness or whatever to the American people. Who are they kidding? No God I've ever heard of would appreciate picketing at such a delicate moment to so many. Although I would not condone it, I might be able to understand the rational if the picketing were say... at the funeral of a serial killer or rapist, but it still would not accomplish anything. I just cannot seem to wrap my head around this way of thinking. Bless those helping out and pray for those who are hurting so many.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now, what do you think about this? Maybe someone can help me understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment